The National Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs (BPW/USA) was founded on July 15, 1919, and the Minnesota Business and Professional Women's Clubs, Inc. (BPW/MN) was founded in 1920 and hosted the second BPW/USA national convention in 1920.
Minnesota Business and Professional Women's Club was founded July 26, 1920 with a membership of 2,500; and on July 27, 1920 the St. Paul Club hosted the second National BPW Convention August 20, 1920, the 19th Amendment to the U. S. Constitution was ratified
In 1924, Minnesota had their first National Officer: Mayme Stevens-elected National Treasurer
Business Women' Week was first observed in 1928 and has been celebrated annually ever since
The MN Federation adopted Articles of Incorporation, and in 1932 approved a State Magazine
The Equal Rights Amendment was included on our Legislative Platform in 1937 where it still remains
In 1945, the 25th Anniversary of the Federation was scheduled for Faribault but was cancelled because of the ruling of the Office of Transportation and Defense which forbade meetings of more than 50
BPW National Foundation was formed in January 1956 and was supported from the start by the MN Federation and this support continues
In 1961 the State Convention scheduled for Austin was transferred to Rochester because of a strike by the employees of the Austin Motel
In 1962, National President Virginia Allan mandated that every state federation get a Status of Women Commission fashioned after the National Commission established by President Kennedy
In the 1970's Minnesota became the 25th state to ratify the ERA Amendment to the Constitution and Equal Pay for Equal Work became an issue. When the 70's concluded, our State Federation had 61 clubs, and a membership of 2,900.
Minnesota hosted the National Convention in Minneapolis in 1992 and in St. Paul in 2000.
On May 2, 2009 members voted to disassociate with Business and Professional Women/USA and Business and Professional Women Foundation (after the two organizations merged into the BPW Foundation).
On September 25, 2009 the board of directors voted to recommend to the membership at Convention 2010 an organizational name “Minnesota Business Women”. Additionally, the board of directors voted to recommend to the membership a new mission statement:
Minnesota Business Women
Working Women Working Together to promote personal empowerment, professional development, and political awareness for the women of Minnesota.
On April 30, 2010 Minnesota Business Women hosted 125 women in business, women business owners, and students at “New Beginnings: Conference and Business Expo 2010” held at the Crown Plaza Hotel in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota.
On May 1, 2010 at state convention MBW members accepted the new bylaws and the new name as recommended by the board of directors. Members voted to sign the licensing agreement with BPW Foundation re-establishing ties to its sister organization.
At the convention in April of 2014 new bylaws were accepted changing the governance to a board of directors (elected, or appointed, by the clubs) and holding an annual event each year, location and content to be determined by the board of directors.
Since reaffiliating with the BPW Foundation the state and most of the clubs reverted to using the retained legal name: Minnesota Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs, Inc.